Since 1980, the Temiskaming Art Gallery (TAG) has been pivotal in promoting and showcasing visual arts in north-eastern Ontario. TAG has exhibited the talent of local artists and brought national and international exhibitions to the region. Our Permanent Collection is a constantly growing valuable treasure – part of Canada’s collective cultural heritage. The education and outreach programmes provided at the gallery continue to enrich the community through the joy of experiencing and understanding visual arts.
The Temiskaming Art Gallery was created to present visual art and support artists in the Temiskaming Region and the broader Northern Ontario community. Today the gallery hosts an excellent permanent collection which includes the work of significant northern artists for public viewing in a brand new arts facility. The gallery’s learning arts programs provides innovative art education for all ages. The gallery serves a vibrant community of established and up-and-coming artists, as well as arts patrons and the public at large.
- Be a recognized leader in the Northern arts scene.
- Promote the gallery and develop its membership base.
- Be innovative and use state-of-the art methods of showcasing art.;
- Develop partnerships with other communities and cultural organizations to make art accessible to everyone in the broader area.
- Be a leading arts learning organization and teaching resource.
- Be community focussed.
- Ensure the celebration of Northern Ontario and local artists.
- Be sustainable and maintain high standards.
- Explore new ways of appreciating art.
My name is Peter Greyson and I am the new Director / Curator of the Temiskaming Gallery effective September 1, 2010. I am very happy to be appointed to this position and I look forward to fullfilling my responsibilities in the same spirit as my predecessor, Maureen Steward, who did an exemplary job here.
For over thirty years the Temiskaming Art Gallery has provided exhibitions and educational programs to residents and visitors of Temiskaming. I am very excited to be a part of this tradition and I look forward to continuing the mandate of the Temiskaming Gallery particularly as it relates to artists living and working in the Temiskaming area.
On behalf of the Temiskaming Gallery I look forward to welcoming you to our exhibitions, workshops and special events. I also encourage anyone who has a sugestion for a show to contact the gallery so that we may decide our programming from the widest possible selection of choices.